Thursday, June 27, 2013

Homeless

Okay, Kae, I don't know how this is going to work out. There's this problem, you see, outside of the US where your computer recognizes you're in a different country and tries to send you to that country's respective google, blogger, whatever. I CANNOT TURN OFF THIS COUNTRY'S BLOGGER. So, I will be fumbling around with this website I can't read until it works. Or it deletes my post and I give up in disgust and go back to eating my Pringles/watching Dr. Phil on AFN (Armed Forces Network) in peace.

Kae has been begging for an update. I more or less dropped off the grid once my flight left the American Heartland. You see, I was stuck in the Heartland FAR longer than necessary. I showed up for my first flight, and the flight was cancelled. The reason? The pilot's seat moved around too much for his liking. I'm sorry, but you're flying a whole plane of people out of this godforsaken place. Put the pilot in his seat, duct tape that thing in place, and call it done. I guess not. So, they could only get me a flight out the next day, and I got put up in a hotel for the next night.

I showed up AGAIN the next day, and what do you know? The flight is cancelled. I went up to the same airline agent with a trembling chin and quietly asked to be let out of the state. I have never seen an airline person work so fast. He quickly got me a flight a few hours later (on a different airline) and I was flown BACK to the airport by Hillbilly Holler. All that, just to end up where I started. It wasn't until I was in my seat on the international flight, on the runway, that I finally relaxed. It didn't matter if I didn't make my last connecting flight, at least it would be doable.

Fast forward through customs/immigration (and a couple day break in writing this in which I had to navigate through non-English prompts to get to my saved draft and somehow ended up on someone else's blog), and Señor and I walking circles in the final airport (yet not finding each other) and here I am.

The people I'm stationed with here are amazing. As many crazy stories as I have told Kae, she can rest assured that there are some awesome people looking out for her (and, you know, the country, but I'm sure she's thinking of her safety). Aside from that, getting settled with Señor here has been chaos. Who knew there was such deep seeded anger between our branches (um, EVERYONE). But, basically it's 10 days in now and we are nowhere near having a place to live. Señor is still in his barracks, I'm in a hotel. He drives about 45 minutes every night to see me for, oh, an hour before we both fall asleep out of heat exhaustion, then he drives 45 minutes back to his base to make it in time for the crazy curfews he has. Not ideal.

On the bright side, I'm getting a car in a few hours. Cars are crazy easy to buy here. Especially if you prey on the desperate people who are about to head back to the states and HAVE to sell their cars they can't bring to the states. Pictures to come, I promise, Kae.

That's the short and sweet of it. There are more adventures to come, as I am currently being kicked out of my hotel for a couple nights due to overbooking and literally every place around here is full this weekend.  Kae was very excited to hear I will probably pitch a tent in a ditch somewhere and be homeless for a couple days. I promise to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment