Sunday, June 30, 2013

The cheapest apartments we can find

As Señor and I wait out the Great Marine-Air Force Housing War, we were tasked to go house hunt anyway. House hunting here is pretty awesome. You call an agent, tell them what you want, then the agent picks you up and brings you to a bunch of places to look at. Super high class. Although today, with our local native agent driving, I seriously thought we were going to be squashed weaving in and out of traffic on the impossibly skinny streets here. Not as terrifying as Ethiopian driving, but a close close second. Here they at least put mirrors on the sharp blind curves in their streets big enough for one car, so you can at least see the head-on collision coming.

Single homes here are nearly impossible to find, so Señor and I had this poor woman driving us all over the city to show us the few that were available. First was this little house that I imagine a grandmother had before us, judging by the wallpaper. The outside was the only colorful house we had seen in our hunts.
Special guest appearance by our agent

Now I was instantly attracted to that tower-looking thing on the front. What girl doesn't want to sit on the top of that and wait for her prince to come? Maybe dangle her hair out the window a little bit?

See? Perfect place to fight a dragon out the window.

Onward to the next house. I wish Señor had gotten a picture of the front yard (although I guess the agent said it would be "fixed" before anyone moved in). It was a wild mess of purple and red flowers, complete with a rusted out VW-ish van.

The next in our house montage. We refer to it as "that place with the yard and no stove."

As you can see, there are tatami mats on the floor in the background there. They're pretty awesome looking and in literally every house we have seen. Señor and I, being apparently uncultured, aren't sure what we are supposed to do with these rooms. All we were told is don't put furniture on the mats, as they are crazy expensive to fix after giant American couches have put dents in them. So I guess we would keep it as a showpiece room? Just for looks? Take our afternoon tea there?

The view from the next apartment. I'd like to point out the baby in giant shoes, showing off his junk. I tried to politely ask the agent what that meant but she just smiled and walked away. Anyway, not a view I want from my bedroom.

The agent ran out of houses to show us, so we went to see some apartments. This one wasn't super impressive, but the next one....

If you crane your next off the large balcony, you can see hills and sort-of the ocean in the background.

Far too much looking at disappointing places

The last couple places we saw were such a hard "NO" we didn't really take pictures. On the bright side, these were our safe apartments. The ones that just me, with my lowly housing allowance, can get. Today Señor is spending his day going office to office, pleading his case to get housing allowance, and I am going to look at the high-end apartments of the city. Señor was pretty upset he couldn't come with, as who wants to look at the cheap apartments but not the rockin' ones? I promised him about 5,000 pictures per apartment/house, so I'll have plenty more to share.

In other news of the weekend, Señor and I camped on a little beach cove (thankfully in a tent, since I have never seen that many hermit crabs in one place before!).

The view from our window...of the tent

This was all followed by a lovely little drive up the coast....


To get to this little place tucked in the mountains....


And there we spent a lovely afternoon with Señor's friends (we shall call them The Boots), splashing around, swinging on rope swings, jumping off rocks (not me, don't worry, Balabusta), and generally relaxing.

And thus completes my weekend update. I'm sure Kae is as excited as I am to see what sort of high-end homes this place has to offer, so I'll report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment