Friday, April 27, 2012

Health nuts

Maybe you heard this little news story...




http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/today-food-finance-nutella-not-broccoli-162956191.html

The people who make Nutella are paying out $3 million in a lawsuit because it turns out some people were misled about the actual nutritional value of the delicious, chocolatey spread. Read: it's advertised as delicious and healthy and some people didn't actually read the label to verify this.

Before everyone starts mocking our lawsuit-happy society, etc, etc, I'm just going to say that some people are easily advertised to. And some people were well aware it's the equivalent of chocolate frosting with a retro label, but some people convinced themselves (or herself) that it's actually better than chocolate frosting because it's made with nuts. And nuts are healthy.

I intend to hide this news story from Aquaman who watched in horror  fascination as I ate a spoonful (or three) of Nutella for a bedtime snack (and then gave him my 'it's like healthy chocolate frosting because it's made with nuts' line). And no, Aquaman, I'm still not going to classify it as chocolate frosting just because of a silly lawsuit. Although I may jump into this class action business and claim my $4 as part of the duped public.

--Kae--

2 comments:

  1. True story: my hubby always asks me when I get prepared to buy Nutella if I really want to get it, because, he says so gently, that I always gain weight when it's in the house! Spoonful by spoonful is pretty much the only way to eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! He's so honest with you! But it's true. My pants are tighter when there's nutella in the house. And still I won't confess that it's not healthy. :) I like living in denial.

    ReplyDelete